When I hosted a shower for my best friend last summer, I wanted to create a memorable dessert. Let me disclaim that I am no chef or baker. With that said, I love to try my hand at new recipes or projects, so when I came across a Wedding Dress Cupcake Cake on Pinterest, I had to give it a try. It was just a picture without instructions, so I got creative in the kitchen. I also gave this cake a test run as I didn't want my first time creating it to be for the shower.
- Cake Mix of your choice
- 3 16-oz. cans of icing (or 48 ounces of icing if you are making your own)
- Cake Box bottom or similarly sized cardboard box*
- Beads or other decor for belt
- Icing dispenser
- Bake 22 cupcakes per directions. (I used a yellow cake box mix and followed the directions provided)
- Align plain cupcakes (no icing) to create a dress-like shape. Start with 5 cupcakes on the bottom, 4 on the next row, then 3, then three rows of two. Finally, add two cupcakes as the sleeves.
- Once cupcakes are in desired shape, put a dot of icing under each one as to prevent them from slipping out of the dress shape.
- Ice each individual cupcake with your icing dispenser.
- Once each of the cupcakes are iced, go in to the holes of the "cake" and fill with icing. I did a circular dot pattern to fill in the space between each cupcake.
- Finally, add your decoration to complete your wedding dress!
This cupcake-cake does take a lot of icing -- so I would certainly over-prepare. It is also a bit messy if you're not an accomplished baker, which I am not. I had icing everywhere, but was very pleased with the finished product!